Friday, January 28, 2011

Some things I Ponder about Food and Cooking

In a reflective mode, I ponder life's little mysteries in the kitchen 'Arena', such as the following:

1. When I eat an exceptionally healthy meal, why do I have an urge to follow up with something salty, sugary, or deep-fried (or all of the above)?
2. Why is it that when I'm looking for a particular, specific food item...I can't find it. And when I'm not looking, there it is, usually in bulk?
3. Sometimes recipe's just don't work, That's what "tweeking" means. Like making soft pretzels from scratch, and not boiling them in a PH rich, baking soda bath, prior to baking. A complete waste of yeast and flour.
4. Why does Summer last, like 3 weeks ( in northeast minds), and Winter lasts 8 months (in northeast minds)? Even potatoes and apples get old.
5. What did I ever do to deserve a sister in law, that GAVE me a Global Knife, without any written contracts, addendum's, or attachments. That knife is my most treasured, of all tools, in my kitchen.
6. Why do I get super excited when I find pretty, frilly, bamboo, fun, toothpicks at the Dollar store? I must admit, I bought 8 packs of them today.
7. Why do I have a set list at the grocery store, see one item that inspires me, and the list is completely changed at that moment?
8. And why is it, almost every time I go out to eat, I get an upset stomach, heartburn, and feel bloated?
9. I don't eat to survive, I cook for the pleasure...and love to share, and eat, said pleasure. Is that a bad thing?
10. I have yet to find a frozen, pre-made (convenience) meal I like and would recommend. Even the previously frozen veggies, in faux meal, are soggy and limp. It's like they're SCREAMING, "this just isn't right!"

No comments:

Post a Comment