Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Braciole and Bravado

I wear my heart on a sleeve, so to speak.

No denying my look, my sweat, my eyes, my heart racing as I'm being ridiculed under a grand spotlight, as I bare my heart and soul on a plate.

 I've had the most fortunate opportunity to bring the plate to the critics, and offer my version of what "best represents me."

I could choose anything. I chose the very hard road of transporting food, aka, goods. Seafood would have been a very easy choice, or a prime rib, or a very tender Filet.

I chose round steak. This is me in a nutshell. This represents me. If you pound it out and stuff it with the right ingredients, simmer/braise in the right tomato sauce......it is, TO DIE FOR. The cheapest cut of beef that you could ask for. My Grandma made Braciole every Christmas Eve, and I still tear up thinking about the smells, the taste, the feeling I felt biting into it.

She made her's with slices of hard boiled egg and golden raisins, rolled into round steak, simmered in a hearty tomato sauce, heaven. In honor of my Grandma, I will bring this recipe, my adaptation, to this competition. I've included those lovely golden raisins, which add a hint of sweetness that you wouldn't expect. I only hope and pray that I can bring her justice to the plate. She deserves a little due credit, where credit was (most probably), was never given.


And I honor my Mother,  who has guided me throughout. No matter what happens, I'm so very grateful.

Mangia !

Recipe to follow, though I might need a video tuturial for this one.

1 comment: