Thursday, December 23, 2010

Pappy Nick's Apple Crumble Pie

Pappy Nick is the baker in da' house. I have tried to perfect the baking aspect, but as my lovely sissie in law stated, "you have your own talents." I will continue to try to uphold and evolve into a semi-formidable baker, but the Pappy effortlessly manages to bring on delectable delights for those craving a bite of sugary goodness, laced with cinnamon, or apples, or chocolate. He delights in measuring, I loathe measuring. Though he does take short-cuts, his end result is amazing.
Heck, he even gave me a "high-five" for the Lemon Ricotta Cookies today. I feel somewhat honored. Especially, after that blathering mess of an Apple Spice cake I lost at yesterday. Redemption is a good thing, and I love my Pappy Nick.

preheat oven to 425 F.
The Guts:
Dough for 2- 9 in. pies (this is the short cut, he buys Pillsbury pre-made pie crusts)
3/4 c. sugar
1T. all-purpose flour
1 t. cinnamon
dash of salt
3 1/2 c. peeled, sliced apples
1- 16oz. jar applesauce
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. butter, cut into small pieces

The Topping:
3 T. all-purpose flour
1 T. sugar
dash of salt
1 T. butter, room temp

Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Stir in apples, applesauce and lemon juice. Put mix into pie crust and dot with butter. Cut second crust into strips and arrange into a lattice design over pie.
For the crumble:
Combine flour, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Using a fork, cut in softened butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over top of crust. At this point, prior to baking, you'll want to gather a fat piece of foil and wrap around the edges of the entire pie to protect from over-browning. Bake at 425 F for 10 min. then reduce heat to 350 F for roughly 45 minutes until crust and topping are golden brown. I recommend an impromptu drip pan of aluminum foil to catch the drippings on the level underneath that pie, just a recommendation, if your not fond of clean-up, such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment