Thursday, December 23, 2010

Pizza Crust Simplified

Ok. Typically, I garnish each post with a picture, but I found this scrumptious recipe for a pizza crust that actually worked. And since the pizza was devoured in record time, sadly, I have no picture. Just imagine in your mind a thick crusted pizza, bordering on Sicilian, with a host of toppings, that with great pride, even my brother commented, was the best pizza he has had in a long time. I didn't go with the typical mozzarella/provolone blend either, I used what was on hand, shredded cheddar. Allow yourself to think outside the box, and utilize what's on hand in your pantry/fridge/freezer. Kudo's to Jay's recipe here...
 http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jays-Signature-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

Instead of using sugar to liven a homely yeast, he uses brown sugar. I don't know why, and can't explain the exact details, but this crust was thick and soft, which is what I like. When you get to the working the dough part, throw it on your counter, throw some flour in it, and knead that sucker for a few minutes, let the flour and wet ingredients become one! Like he explains, add flour until the dough no longer is sticky.

I made a quick pizza sauce out of a small can of Muir Glen organic tomato sauce, 2 cloves of garlic, crushed with a knife, oregano (dried) about a T., and a tsp. of sugar, salt and pepper (to taste). Simmer for roughly 20 min. over low heat (with lid on, since it splatters all over the place).

It's a wrap when you have placed the rolled out dough into large cookie sheet. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes, then add your toppings...whatever you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment