Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing

Oh...smack! Just when I went off on my mini-tangent about eating healthier, I'm posting this recipe. It is for Valentine's Day....that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. I found this recipe for the cupcakes in my beloved Southern Living Cookbook. And in true Southern fashion, it contains shortening and lots of eggs. The recipe said it would yield 3 1/2 dozen cupcakes, but for me it yielded about 24. I like my cupcakes on the generous side, not wimpy.  The recipe for the velvety-licious cream cheese icing is slightly twisted with almond extract, instead of vanilla. Oddly enough, I never LOVED cake, but I LOVE cupcakes. Perhaps it's the miniature, individual serving I love, or the sheer "cuteness" of the cupcake itself. Who knows....I can't explain it.
Either way, take some time to do something special for your loved one(s) this Valentine's Day, or any other day, for that matter. this one's a 'keeper.'

The cupcakes:
1 c. vegetable shortening
1/2 c. butter (1 stick), softened
3 c. sugar
6 large eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring (yes, the whole bottle)
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t. salt
1 c. milk
Beat shortening, butter, and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy on medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Add vanilla and food coloring until blended.
Combine flour, cocoa, and salt in separate bowl. Add to shortening/butter mixture, alternately with milk, in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture. I did this in thirds. Spoon batter into muffin tins, lined with cupcake liners, filling two-thirds full.
Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire cooling racks.

Cream Cheese Icing:
2- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 t. almond extract
2 c. powdered sugar, sifted
Combine in bowl with electric mixer the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add almond extract and blend. Gradually add powdered sugar in batches, again...I did this in three batches, until completely blended. You can use a spatula to apply icing, or a large bore icing tip. Decorate any old way you like!


No comments:

Post a Comment