Friday, February 18, 2011

Some things should not be messed with/ lesson learned # 5018

For example, my Mom's Chicken Cacciatore recipe. Though I've never been given the specifics of this recipe, I envision just that, my Mom's Chicken Cacciatore. Pieces of bone-in chicken, simmered low and slow, in a tomato sauce with green peppers, onions....and sliced black olives. I remember this from yeeeaaarrrs ago. Recently, I saw a recipe for Chicken Cacciatore (on the Internet) that peaked my interest and brought back these wonderful memories of this dish my Mom made a long time ago when we were kids.
So now the hankering begins.
In my less than stellar mind, I devise a plan that I shall adapt the somewhat fru-fru recipe (from the Internet), make it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make it leaner and leaning towards healthy...and get this....I was completely disappointed.
This Internet recipe, in combination with a less than stellar mind driven recipe, was not even close to what I experienced, or shall I say, was blessed with experiencing, as a novice food loving child.
Not that Chicken Cacciatore is complicated, just once again learning through experience, that there are certain things, whether they be in the grand scheme of things, or in this minimal case, recipes, you should not mess with.
Cacciatore is a reference to cooking "hunter's style." Which I certainly can appreciate. Do I think the hunters of yester-year had red bell peppers, a 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes(complete with juices), a dry red wine, or boneless, skinless chicken breasts handy?
I should have caught the signs right there, while reading the recipe, and the history of Cacciatore...
And now, the hankering continues.
I shall right my wrong doing of today, consult with my Mom, and get this recipe to the level which it deserves...
Uncomplicated, un- fru frued, and downright delicious. Just like I remember it to be.
Thank you Mom for always keeping it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment