Monday, September 5, 2011

Marinated Hot Banana Peppers

If I could give kudos to the actual growers of these peppers, I would.
And I'll attempt at giving them kudos, without sacrificing their privacy.
A lovely couple, complete with a simple resolution to just get through the work week, life, and all that life seems to fling their way.
On this, I can relate.
Though, they handle it gracefully, for the most part, complete with a vulnerable side, of which, I also can relate to.
It's been an honor, a blessing, and filled with many laughs, and many surprises along the way.
For instance, a no dour...."what about me," mode.
Someone that understands, I'd rather text, than talk on the phone, but when necessary, I will talk on the phone.
A shared interest in gardening, woodworking, hunting, cooking.
A shared sense of humor, and loving to laugh out loud.
A shared love of pups, dogs, and cats.
A shared interest in the welfare of our country, without being maniacal.
A shared interest of our kids, and our grand babies.
A shared interest in living life, on life's terms.
And someone we can share our experiences/defeats, with.
The "surprise?"
Learning that two people you met a couple of years ago, have slowly become best buds. Via, other friends.
Priceless.

Absolutely, priceless.
I had the honor of picking through this couple's garden, at the cost of their labor and toil, that was now waning, to pick the last bits of hot peppers in their final glory (see previous post).
Brought the lot home, went to the Hub's infamous recipe (soon to be famous), and here it is.
Thank you both..
Fingers, lips, nose, are burning, and I still smell of garlic, But I'm grateful for meeting you both.

Ingredients:
3 lbs. hot banana peppers- sliced into 1/2 in. chunks
4 c. apple cider vinegar
3 c. canola oil
3 c. water
3/4 c. canning salt
1/4 c. dried oregano
1 whole head garlic- minced

Rinse hot peppers to clean. If you have hair to the shoulder, pull it up. Any interferences will cause you to wipe face, etc....while chopping peppers, and if they're hot, you should avoid this.
In a large, gallon sized, glass jug, mix vinegar, oil, water salt, oregano, and garlic. Shake to mix.
Start chopping peppers into chunks. The smaller ends of peppers have no seeds. Add to jar.
The larger ends have a pith, reserve them.
Take the larger ends and pop the pith out with fingers. I like my hot peppers, hot. So I take the discarded pith, and scrape them for the seeds. I add the seeds to the marinade to heat it up.
Once you have all the peppers chopped, and added to the marinade, let it sit for two hours.
Every 15 minutes, when you see the vinegar separating from the oil, shake that jug vigorously to blend while waiting for the two hours.
It's a bit of a process, I know. But, well worth the effort.
Now, load the peppers into canning jars, then add the liquid to the top. Seal with lids, then run under hot water.
This doesn't seal them, as in canning, but they will last for at least one month in refrigerator.
Serve the peppers with chicken, pork, beef, fish, on sandwiches. We've even been known to plop them on buttery crackers and eat as is.
Very garlicky, hot and tangy, all at the same time.
Whew! My mouth's on FIRE!

No comments:

Post a Comment