Saturday, September 10, 2011

What I've learned from 9/11

I can ask anyone what they were doing that day, and each and everyone of us can clearly remember that morning as if it were yesterday.
I have become a bit obsessed in anticipation of the 10th anniversary of one of the worst attacks on United States soil. More recently in the last few days following articles, videos, pictures of then, and now.
To this day, it clearly upsets all of us. It still resonates globally, 10 years later.
On the eve, of the Anniversary of such a planned and devised catastrophe, naturally I spent my day cooking.
It's what I do to clear my thoughts. My therapy session lasted all day, in the kitchen, grateful once again, that I wasn't directly affected with the loss of a family member.
Though I did take a break and watch the televised dedication ceremony in Shanksville, PA for the memorial currently being built to honor the 40 passengers and crew that bravely met evil face to face, and VOTED together in the heat of peril to fight the evil. I bawled today, just as I did 10 years ago, tomorrow.

3,460 presumed lost, including emergency personnel (aka) first responders.

What did I get out of my "therapy session?"
Just like the surreal moments following the attacks on 9/11/01, I realize We stand United. The out pouring of dedication, wanting to help, wanting to be there, wanting to rebuild, reconstruct our homeland security, remains forever emblazoned in my memory bank.
22 days after 9/11, the first attacks on Afghanistan were launched, and 2 million men and women made the decision to join our military.
We remain united in comforting the families that have lost loved ones, and honoring them.
Most of all, I realized today, the eve of 9/11, that these last 10 years have been my happiest.
My children are healthy, thriving adults.
I have met and married my Hub's.
All three of my children have married, and married well.
I have been blessed with three beautiful grandchildren.
I went, and graduated from college.
Three members of my family (my son included) have signed up willingly and have served, one still serving. (Army).
While simmering the "trinity" for my Jambalaya, it dawned on my, once again, this is America. Home of the free, land of the brave.
Despite the horrors of the past, We endure.






No comments:

Post a Comment