Sunday, September 25, 2011

Green Chile Salsa

Been on a serious craving for authentic Mexican food. To the point where I'm dreaming of La Parilla's salsa and chips.
The tortilla chips were slightly warm, salty, and super thin and crisp. The salsa was just thick (yet watery) enough to cling it's tomato-ey base to the chips. With a hint of cumin, cilantro and garlic, I long for this recipe.
Of course, there are no La Parilla's in the North. Nor, are there ANY decent Mexican restaurants in the North, unless of course you consider Taco Bell to be a Mexican restaurant.....complete with Grade E meat, whatever that comes from, I don't want to know. Just thinking I fed my kids that crap (back in the day) makes me shudder in remorse.
And for the die-hards, you know who you are, whom consider Jose and Tony's http://joseandtonys.com/ an authentic Mexican restaurant.....phooey!
Though on a personal note, I do miss Chi Chi's. e. Coli-schmoli !
So I find this recipe for La Parilla's Green Chile Salsa, and literally salivate at the prospect of making it.....ALL WEEK.
Not the intended recipe I was looking for mind you, but for all intense purposes, it satisfied my need, if only for a moment, for authentic Mexican food.
The end of the recipe entry reads, "you could smather this over anything." Why yes, you could. Chips, chops, chicken, a beef brisket, shrimp skewers, even hot dogs, it's so good.
Though the steps involved roasting garlic, tomatoes, onion's, tomatillo's, poblano peppers, individually.......here's what I did.



All together now!
Who has time to roast individually? Look how happy they are together, in unison. Roasting as One....
I love tomatillos. Sort of a tart, bright, looks like a tomato, but brings so much to the table, thing. I refer to it as a thing, since I'm not accustomed to cooking with it, but I want to cook with it, I want to bring the tomatillo to my pierogie/meatloaf/bruschetta/chicken piccata mentality.
I'm thinking capers and tomatillo's....roasted on a crusty baguette.
Back to Mexican.
There's this little Mexican restaurant opening up soon, right here in "the Boon's." Already caught on fire, before even opening...not a good sign.
In the meantime, I shall try to duplicate that recipe from la Parilla, since the hopes of ever having it up here is non-existent, to date.
Here's a superb recipe, accidentally found, but very Mexican.

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.

Ingredients:
5 poblano peppers-chopped and seeded
1/2 yellow onion-peeled and sliced
5 tomatillos-husked and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic-peeled
3 tomatoes- quartered
Canola oil
Salt/pepper
Place on a cookie sheet, toss with canola oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss again. Roast approx. 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Once cooled, add to a food processor. Here's the rest of ingredients:
Add 1/2c. water while processing ( I had to add a total of 1c. of water since I like it thinner)
Handful of fresh cilantro
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. kosher salt

The longer this sits, the better it is. The recipe did not call for lime juice, but I think it would have made it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment