Sunday, October 2, 2011

Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup

Fall is officially here. Yeeeeaaaaahhhh !!!

As I type, it's 42 degrees, my house is scrubbed from stem to stern, and my candles are lit. This weekend has also officially been deemed (by me) one of the worst weather weekends this year. It has rained since Friday night, been chilly and miserable, yet somehow....I'm quite pleased.
I even brought what plant-life I wanted to save, indoors.
This is the kind of weather that makes me want to COOK. Even more than I typically cook. It makes me want to nest, rearrange the once open garage, to Closed. Drag in the porch furniture, and celebrate with autumnal decor/lights, in the hopes of no longer sweating my b*%^$ off (if I had them).

Oh, Fall....how I love you. It's a natural procession of yet another season. Bring on the fall foliage, which has already begun in earnest. Fall begins my craving for pork, slow cooked with apples. More cravings for stews, casseroles and comfort foods. Cranberries.....shut. up. Whole turkey? No problem.
But most of all, soup.
Soup is the elixir of all the God's, past and present.
I made two yesterday. Beef veggie (my personal fav), and a lovely Butternut squash and carrot.
I could have sufficed with just the butternut squash, but I'm trying to amp my nutritional content by adding the carrots. Personally, I would have added spinach, and whatever the heck else I should have had, on hand....but it was a long week.

What resulted was a blender that finally succumbed to 10+ yrs of abuse (with a little help from me), and this delicious/easy/nutritious/yummy bowl of goodness.

Other (well known soup companies) market and sell this for a formadible profit.......in a carton. Make your own. So easy.
 I'm told they even sell this at "Fru-Fru" establishments. Perhaps I should hang a swanky sign from the kitchen window.

Ingredients: Serves 4

1- 2 to3 lb. butternut squash- peeled and cubed*
2- large carrots-peeled and sliced
1/2 of a large onion-peeled and diced
32 oz. carton organic chicken broth
1/4 t. allspice
1/8 t. ground nutmeg ( I used fresh-thank you Trev and Ria)
Salt/pepper to taste
Sour cream- as garnish

Combine veggies in a pot, add broth and seasonings. bring to a boil, cover with lid over low simmer until veggies are fork tender (about 30 minutes). Ladle, in batches, into blender to emulsify. Be careful to leave lid on blender open, as it's very hot (which is where my blender finally >YAY<, died). Return to pot and combine. Ladle into soup crocks/bowls. Add dollops of sour cream as desired.

* I'm told they sell butternut squash frozen and cubed.....yeah, right. Not in my neck of the woods. If your like me, buy a whole butternut squash, and CAREFULLY peel with a very sharp paring knife. Once peeled, split down the middle lengthwise, and you will find a pocket of seeds.....like a pumpkin, but no so much. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then cube.

1 comment:

  1. Yummmm...I found already peeled and cubed butternut squash today at our local Walmart. Now, if it's here, in the woods, they definitely have it at your Walmart. In the produce department, by the bagged lettuce, they have the Walmart brand of chopped, cleaned veggies...I think it's Market District or something....they had it there....check it out next time you go. xoxo Love, Toogie (totally not Anonymous)

    ReplyDelete